Tuesday 10 April 2018

Useful Tip to Start Kids on Finance!

I started on Budgets Are $exy not too long ago and one of the posts titled  '9 more Financial Hacks to Put In Your Pocket' led me to this tip/blog post by Matt Spillar which I found very interesting and potentially very useful in future when I do have to teach my kids about money!

Long story short - The writer will be incentivised by his father whenever he reads Finance/Investment books and subsequently give a review/report on the book, this was to get him interested in the topic of personal finance.

Me thinks that this is a really cool idea and I wish I had a similar figure do this for me when I was younger! I always wanted to read on Finance, Investing when I was younger however whenever I got into the first few chapters (sometimes its pages..) my interest would have waned. I don't think my WANT for it back then was strong enough to sustain me throughout the whole book and such an incentive could have (maybe?) pushed me through!

At a certain age, I think most of us are just cruising through life and do not know what really interests us or will be important to us and thus we just go with the flow - doing whatever our peers are doing and spending on. I'll be really glad if my kids grow up and have a good grasp of their personal finances much like SleepyDevil at his age of just 19 years old.

Another point in the article by Matt Spillar was that he will not pay for his kids' education even if he could afford it and that falls in line with my own thinking as well.

I had to pay for my own polytechnic and degree tuition fees.

I started work immediately after I finished my national service, worked and studied for my degree at the same time though I was lucky that my elder brothers (thank you s :D) loaned me my tuition fee thus it was a 0% interest loan. I was very envious of friends that did not have any school loan to pay off at that time and TBH I was quite bitter about it (I think especially bitter because almost ALL of my close friends had their parents pay their tuition fees for them).

Looking back now, I'm glad that I had to go through that as I believe it was part of my character building and without that I might not have my values of today regarding money.

Thus, to my children.. if you are reading this....

SORRY! PAY YOUR OWN TUITION FEES WHILE MOM AND DAD GO TO THE MALDIVES/ALASKA/(INSERT EXOTIC LOCATION)! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Ok that was really childish.

What are your thoughts on paying for school tuition for your kids? Interested to know if anyone feels the same!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wife say I Niao,

    Thanks for the kind words up there, but I believe that I’m not and I’ve much more to learn. Coincidentally, I’m in the middle of drafting a small lil’ quote or conversation to my kids in the future, in one of my upcoming post.

    Today, while I’m awaiting to be conscipted, upcoming next would be my university. Which again, similarly, I’ve to bear the cost of it by myself. I’m scratching my head and working out a plan onto taking the university route without bank loan , scholarship and certainly fundings from my parent.

    Head’s getting bigger!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sleepydevil,

      You are very humble la.. We all definitely have a lot to learn! But let's just say I wished I was half as savvy as you are right now when I was your age!

      Tuition fees is definitely gonna be a headache but I'm sure you'll do fine!

      Looking forward to your upcoming post, curious to see your thoughts on this. :)

      Delete