Tuesday 8 May 2018

Retirement Planning is Hard!

I recently saw a video from Aviva relating to retirement planning and I'm quite shocked TBH at the things people say in the video (maybe it's staged? Or really got people so daft?).





  • 57% of people in Singapore find retirement planning too complicated?
    • Is it really that complicated? Just talk to financial advisors if you want to go the traditional route or research online! Personally I think it's just an excuse for people who want to YOLO and spend without a care!
  • The YOLO mindset - 'I just spend whatever I have, I'm enjoying my life right now.'
    • Is this even responsible adulting? Are these the people who require everyone else to help when shit hits the fan? 
  • Hoping to retire from 4D and TOTO? 
    • DEAR LORD, I buy lottery too occasionally, but hoping to retire from this without another plan....
  • I think my husband should have? 
    • What if your husband doesn't? What if your husband leaves you? What if...
  • I have some savings plan which hopefully is enough
    • Not as bad as the above, but do take the effort to understand more about your plans and how much you really need. 

Maybe that's why the government has to plan for greying population and implement higher minimum for CPF just to ensure there's higher monthly payouts for the older generation? If not there might be hoards of old folks in the future sleeping in the streets if this is really the situation 'out there'. I'm exagerrating but, possible no? 

I'm no expert on this retirement thing, but seriously I cannot fathom people who don't even plan for retirement or even for rainy days. I think that is just irresponsible especially if you have kids or have elderly parents.

How hard can planning for it be?
  • Automate a portion of your salary to be transferred out (to an investment [robo-advisors] or even to another savings account)
  • Do not touch your investment or this other savings account (not recommended to just leave money in savings account though due to inflation)
  • If you cannot control, do not ever use a credit card. Use a debit card and you can spend freely as long as there is money in this 'spending' account

Tada! Very hard meh?!?! Very simplistic way of looking at it, but I guess that's how it should be right? Especially for people who find it complicated....

I'm just some random dude on the internet, so if you don't believe, fine you can read this and also this.
I think it's straightforward enough even though it's US context but I think still generally relevant.

Let's hope more people get wise with money!

No comments:

Post a Comment